Friday, July 17, 2009

Things I wish I knew beforehand...

Okay, so there's a couple of things I have learned about cancer & chemo & radiation that I feel everyone should know before they experience it. I know that if I knew what I know now, some of the decisions I made would definitely be different.

1. Choose your doctor carefully. Treat the first appointment like an interview. Remember that the doctor is supposed to partner with you on everything. You are paying him/her to help you with your health. If you don't feel comfortable or you feel that you or not a top priority, then you need to keep looking. Ask both your primary care practitioner as well as your ob/gyn for any suggestions.

2. Keep good records of all your doctor's appointments & try to bring someone with you if possible so that they can help you record anything that the doctor says. Also keep good records of any medications that you are currently taking - they will ask this each & every time you visit your doctor. I've started to use a At-A-Glance QuickNotes Datebook to record anything & everything. It helps keep me & my appointments organized.

3. If you feel you need physician assistance at any time, do not hesitate to call your doctor. They are always reachable. Doctors carry around cell phones & pagers for a reason.

4. While at the doctor's office, do not feel like you are limited to a certain amount of time. The doctor should take the time to answer any questions that you may have. If you are feeling rushed, then you need to look for another doctor.

5. Although radiation may seem easier than chemo, it's actually tougher on your skin & sometimes creates so much scar tissue that you lose your range of motion. Also, the side effects of radiation are sometimes delayed. You may not feel a tightness from the scar tissue radiation creates until after some time has elapsed (sometimes as long as 3 months after treatment). So during radiation, continue to do exercises that help with your range of motion. I currently do not have my full range of motion in my left arm & I'm seeing a physical therapist at least twice a week. It's so painful stretching out the bundled up nerves & skin that I usually take a couple of Motrin to get me thru the session. Also, try to do your exercises at home no matter how difficult or painful they are.

6. I continued to work while I went thru treatment. But, at times, I did push myself to my limit. Don't be like me...take a break when necessary & take a day off when you need it. It'll help your body to heal faster if you're able to rest.

7. Don't ever second guess your gut feeling...you know your body best. If you feel like somethings not right, check it out asap.

8. Eat healthy & don't skip meals, even if you don't have the time. Always carry around something small in your purse - like a granola bar. You can't heal your body if it's not fueled properly. If you can't eat or taste because of the chemo, I suggest Ensure, the chocolate flavor...it's like a chocolate milkshake, but better for you.

9. Learn that you can't do this all on your own & it's okay to ask for help. This doesn't make you look weak, but smart. Remember, you are not a superhero!

10. Keep thinking positive & smile a lot even when you don't feel like smiling. It's funny, I didn't realize how grouchy I've been until I really asked the people around me. I thought I was being positive, but they saw it otherwise. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to have a bad day or two, but don't ever let that get in the way of what really makes you feel positive. Remember, what you put out into the universe will come back to you twofold, so be careful (The Secret).

No comments:

Post a Comment