Friday, July 17, 2009

Radiation Sucks!

During my little break from chemo, the doctor forgot that I still needed to "resect" my breast because of the positive margins & instead he sent me to get radiation therapy. Radiation therapy was easy. You go in, change into a hospital gown, lay on a table, wait for the machine to beep & move around you & then you're done. No pain, no short term side effects...easy as pie! Then you go home, apply aloe on your skin at least 3 times a day to prevent any burns. This happens everyday for about 6 weeks. What you find out later that no one really tells you is that the radiation beam is slowly damaging all your tissue & creating really tough scar tissue. And if you're not careful, the scar tissue is so bad that you lose your range of motion or even worse, if you had your lymph nodes removed, you also develop lymphedema if you haven't developed it already. If the radiation doctor only told me to remember to keep exercising my arm consistently then I don't think I would be in the condition I am in right now. Don't take for granted the simple act of being able to stretch your arm above your head. I would give anything to do it right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment